Thursday, January 28, 2010

URLs Indexed by Google

This is the big question, right?
How do I get my pages indexed by Google?
I would say that the bigger question is how do I keep my pages index by Google.
Oh and the answer to either of these questions is of course '42'.

What I just noticed is that incoming links from other sites that are not indexed do not count as an incoming link. Maybe I already realized that fact, as I've seen many pages over the years fade in and out of the index. That's one of the many reason a page rank will go up or down, as pages fade in or out.

So using Google's Webmaster Tools to check the status of incoming links to pages, I found this; Most of the pages relating to the Dictionary of Capacitor Terms [topic page with the lowest page views] only had one external link pointing to them. Well that might be ok, but basically all pages should have at least one external incoming link, from my sitemap [interfacebus Site-Map]. The sitemap is located out on 'Google Sites' which is external to interfacebus.com. The difference here is that I know that the Capacitor Terms were only added to the site a few years ago. All new pages (page additions), in the last few years, get blogged about in the 'What's New Blog' [Engineering Pages]. So if I blogged about adding Capacitor Definitions [blog 11/17/07; Electronic Capacitor Dictionary], why is the external link from blogger [owned by Google] not being recognized? It certainty can't be because Google has not found it, it's been out on the web for two years.

Now that blog page, providing all the links, does have a page rank of zero [really no page rank available]. So can I also assume that the page is also not indexed in Google's listing?
Now I see another blogger page adding two new pages to the Capacitor Terms [blog 10/26/08; Dictionary of Capacitor Terms], that blog page also has no page rank and the two new Capacitor page links are also not recognized in Webmaster Tools. I blog about new pages for two reasons; first to show visitors what new pages have been added and to set the new page up with an incoming external link [SEO stuff]. Standard Search Engine Optimization [SEO] says to try and get external links pointing to your pages, well that's what I was trying to do. But if the pages I use go to a page rank of zero once they fall of the front of this blog than it's kind of pointless. I could add a 'history' page on the site, pointing to these blog pages. That would give the blog listings a page rank. Seems like a lot of effort, and kind of hard to keep track of [with all the different topics on the site]. Of course just by blogging about the other blog pages help [if that makes any sense]. I'll have to think about what SEO advice to give. However what I can say is that just because you blog about a page it really doesn't mean that the benefit will last more than a few months. So you have to find a way to keep a page ranking for pages that are used as 'external links'. One way would be to cross link, as I just did with this posting [pointing to the older blog posts]. Of course another way would be to re-post the pages, which I'll do now to make a point. However I don't recommend listing you page links over and over again in a blog ~ why would any one read the blog.......
Capacitor Dictionary pages, listed by the first term on each page.
Air Dielectric definition. [Page 1, main topic]
Capacitor Breakdown definition. [Page 2]
DC Leakage definition. [Page 3]
Electrode definition. [Page 4]
Farad definition. [Page 5]
Ganged Tuning definition. [Page 6]
Impedance. [Page 7]
Capacitor Manufacturers. [Page 8]
Paper Capacitor definitions. [Page 9]
Quality Factor definition. [Page 10]
Self Inductance definition. [Page 11]
Tantalum Electrolytic Capacitor definition. [Page 12]
Values, Capacitor definition. [Page 13]
..... This may appear to be a long post, but it's an important SEO topic that needs to addressed.
You'll note that I link to the Capacitor pages with a key word, and not just page 8 [for example] that means nothing to Google. Of course I also updated any of these pages as required.
Graphic; Leaded Chip Capacitor, Through-hole Capacitor.

1 comment:

Leroy said...

1/29/2010 I just added links to the other blog posting to point back to this blog posting. So now A links to B and A links to C, which is a better link exchange.

Post a Comment