Friday, January 15, 2010

Anchor Text

I'm out looking over Google's Webmaster Tools for the web site [Interface Buses]. I found a few issues with Short meta descriptions or Duplicate meta descriptions. Normally these HTML issues are caused because while generating a new page I copy a related current page. So I fixed most of them, the ones left are redundant pages.

The tools also give me a list of all the pages on my site and who links to them, or how many different pages link to them. I'll list a few pages here that only have a few incoming page links.

It was the Anchor text I really wanted to blog about. The Anchor Text is the HTML link on a page that points to another page. You always want to select a descriptive word or phrase. But I'm looking at this Anchor list and I see three people using the phrase 'here', another three pages using the term 'link', 'this', '1' and so on.

Now I don't control how someone links to one of my pages, but I can control how I link to internal pages. I see a few links here I may have used by mistake, like 'read more' or 'definition'.
SEO hint, when you find these trade them out for a better phrase.
Definition of Cable Armor.
Read more on Twisted Pair Cables.
What is a Gender Changer.

This is blog posting number 500

No comments:

Post a Comment