Friday, January 29, 2010

BluRay BD Player

I did end up buying a BluRay disk player the other day. However I want to play with it for another day or so before I write a review or make any recommendations one way or the other.

First off the resolution of a Blu-Ray disk far exceeds a DVD, more than I would have figured possible. I did purchase one BD DVD which I'll review below, but I was not to happy with the price. I only purchased one because there was a limited amount on the shelf, for what ever reason.

Which leads me to my second point, why are Blu-ray disks over ten dollars more than a DVD. I think we all know that the cost of a BD or DVD should be about the same. So instead of being taken advantage of I think I'll continue purchasing DVDs unless a Blu-ray disk is required, as in a Sci-FI or other high-res type movie. I see no need for some comedy or second rate movie to be in Blu-ray. Same as I wouldn't care if a comedy was in 7.1 surround sound, in fact I may not even turn my receiver on for a comedy.

None of the units ship with an HDMI cable, so be sure to purchase one with the unit. I figured I had one at home, but of course was to find out I didn't. So I started watching with Component Video and the Audio from Composite Video, Opps. However I did end up going out the next day to purchase an HDMI cable and a longer Ethernet Cable [to connect to my router].

So I find I can down load movies off the internet right into my Blu-ray player, that seemed a bit cool. There's even a few free movies out on-line, although I wouldn't recommend them. I also started watching [as background noise while working on the PC] an advertiser supported movie on-line. But as it stopped several minutes into the movie, and the room went silent, to download the advertisement I shut it off. Can't they buffer up those commercials? I mean it only took a few seconds of down-load time, but it just seemed like they were wasting my time waiting for an ad to download that I didn't even want to see in the first place.

Anyway I purchased Pandorum in Blu-ray. I like SciFi, and to me this one seemed pretty good.
Yes it is a Zombie in Space move [trapped on a spaceship], but so what, I just kept turning up the volume to see what would happen next. As you would guess there's a lot of running and hiding from the "Zombies", other wise they eat you. Now they're not really Zombies, but it's the same difference. Oh and these guys run like the 'new' Zombies [Resident Evil, 28 Days Later], they don't stumble like zombies from the 60's or 70's .

To many of the screens were dark [poorly lit], and there could have been one less chase scene but I liked it [and it looked great in Blu-ray].

So this is a prelude to a technical review of a Blu-ray player. I haven't started reviewing movies!

1 comment:

Leroy said...

A lot of reviews don't seem to like this movie, but I still do. I just watched it again.

Many people compare it to Aliens. I guess, it's on a dark space ship. Many others also compare the movie to The Descent which I have never seen. Still others being up Event Horizon and SAW, but I don't think I would go that far.

I really don't think we will see a version 2, with all the bad reviews.

Post a Comment