Thursday, October 22, 2009

Free Ubuntu Download or CD Shipment


I requested a 'free' CD for version 9.10 of Ubuntu today. I'm not sure why I had to sign in and register, but it was some what painless. Once you sign in with an e-mail address, you have to follow a link to continue the process. I guess the first set is confirming you gave a real address.

The web site indicates that it will take 6 to 10 weeks for the CD to arrive, shipping is free as well.

Last week I read an article about on-line banking which mentioned Ubuntu. Basically their point was that the safest way to access your on-line bank was to use a Ubuntu OS operating from a CD [from a fresh re-boot].
Now this week I see another on-line article relating to IBM and it's suite of programs with Ubuntu [or Red Hat].
So maybe it time to give this thing a try, I have plenty of hard drive space.......

This will be my first attempt using Linux-based Operating System [OS]. I first looked into about ten years ago as an alternative to Windows, but it seemed a bit difficult to install so I never bothered. Back then there was no install program for Linux, and you had to install dozens of files to load the OS up. These days the install process is just like installing any other application, just run the install program [I hope].

I'm over those days of caring what new colorful feature an OS has, I only use it to run this web site and that's it.
On power-up I have Windows Vista open MS IE, Google Opera, Firefox and an old HTML editing program called 1st Page. After that I may open an out-dated graphics editor [PhotoImpact] or Open Office if I need to modify a pic file or do some office related task. Other than that I don't care what OS I'm running because I'm never in it, as I'm changing my website with the HTML editor and verifying the changes with one of the browsers. Oh except for the graphic editor all the other programs mentioned are free.
Guess I'll comment again in about 10 weeks......

Ubuntu; A commercially sponsored Debian-derived Linux distribution that focuses on usability.

Graphic; Google Analytics Map Overlay, Sub Continent Regions, this year.

4 comments:

Leroy said...

9/29/09 BTW so far this month 1.3% of the visitors to the web site use Ubuntu as their OS or about 37,532 hits.
Red Hat only had 0.1% and Debian had 0.2%

Leroy said...

11/18/09 I received that CD last week, and I just noticed my first problem. When I turn on the PC and walk away it boots to ubuntu. I have it set to dual boot. I'm not sure if I can change which OS boots up first, but I do have to remember to set in front of the PC to get to Windows.

Anonymous said...

Dude! You can modify your boot menu. By default your system might have set to Ubuntu instead of windows. I heard about Boot.ini file where you can tweak a little bit to set your windows as default one to proceed. You may want to surf a more on google.

Leroy said...

1/17/10 Yea, I could change the boot-up, but I have a website to run. I'll get around to it next time it becomes an issue.

I just like to start working as soon as I set down.

Post a Comment