Sunday, October 18, 2009

I'm sending Spam mail to myself


Of the 24 e-mails I've received in the last 5 hours today Google has sent all of them into my spam box, four are from me. Yea, that's right my e-mail address is sending me spam. Ok not really, that's just how insecure email really is. You can make it look like an email comes from any one. For years now I've been reading about how 'they' were going to change things and make email more secure or reliable , but still no action.

Of course I don't read these incoming e-mails that get redirected into the spam folder. After years of using Gmail I haven't seen a mistake yet, well maybe one out of thousands of emails [maybe one a few years ago].  But Google and Gmail is pretty good about catching most if not all spam and directing all of them into my spam folder so I don't have to deal with them.

My other gmail account doesn't even display the spam folder any more. The older account always had [or has] 1000's of spam e-mails in the spam folder at any one time and I couldn't even delete them fast enough. Guess Gmail picked up on that.

So anyway my point is, how many people realize they send out spam mail, or really that somebody else is sending out spam email in their name. Any way; Google knows this trick, so classifies the message as Spam, and advises you that it has come from your address , replacing that by "from me". It guesses that since the message isn't in your Sent Mail display that it's a spoof, and even tells you so!

Any way if you ever get an email from interfacebus it doesn't really mean it came from me.

The graphic is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution ShareAlike 2.0 License.

1 comment:

Leroy said...

3/4/2010 I just noticed another email, although I'm sure there were hundreds more from me, err to me.

This one had unsubscribe from interfacebus.... and the whole bit.

But it was already in my spam folder and when I opened it [just checking] Google had put a large banner on it ~ we don't think you sent this. Course they should know, if it's not in my out box how could it be in my in box.

I still have to wonder how many people get e-mail from me with out it coming from me?

Post a Comment