Monday, October 26, 2009

AVG Anti Virus Scanner


I down loaded the newest version of AVG Anti-Virus software yesterday. I went from version 8.5 to version 9.0; both were free versions of the software.

The first thing I did was disable AVG LinkScanner. The LinkScanner routine pre-checks all the sites that come up in a search engine results page. A lot of web masters dislike AVG's LinkScanner because it sends unwanted traffic to their web sites. Each time a web address shows up in a search engine, AVG down loads the page and checks it for viruses. Well that could end up being a lot of bandwidth for a web site if they keep showing up in the SEP by some one using AVG. The routine brings in no traffic, but downloads the web page regardless.
People using the AVG linkScanner and people still running version 6 of MS Explorer are the biggest grips I've seen from web master's on-line

A few hours after the install, AVG wants me to reboot again so it can upgrade it self, I guess I can under stand that.

Although I have not yet run a scan, I set the program to do a slow scan. The default scan speed was 'automatic', with a higher setting called 'fast scan'. Maybe this will not slow down my computer so much...

Ok, I just started a virus scan, looks like it reset to 'automatic', but it doesn't matter the scan only took thirteen minutes, down from 50 minutes on the older version. That seems odd, I wouldn't have figured on that kind of increase in speed ~ but I wasn't using the PC.

I also just reduced MS Explorer web page disk space from 10MB to 7M Bytes, but I left the history at 7 days. That 7meg storage space still a lot of web pages. I didn't see how to do that in Google Chrome. I reduced Firefox to 7 days as well and I didn't see how to reduce the cache size either. Reducing the cache is just another way to speed up the virus scan, less files on the hard drive.

Review of AVG Anti-Virus Software, version 9.0: I recommend it [so far].
Graphic; B2 bomber taking out those viruses.

1 comment:

Randy said...

I just upgraded to AVG 9.0 (paid version) from 8.5. I always turn off the Link Scanner and the other two web scanning things because they're too intrusive and CPU-heavy, and were constantly causing IE to crash.

During upgrade, it also asked me to run a cache scan, or something like that. So I let it.

Now that I'm logged in as a regular XP user again (I installed as admin) there is a process avgchsvx.exe that is running and grinding my removable drives for hours. Apparently this is again some cache to speed up scanning.

I don't like caches, which is why I turn off Windows drive indexing, etc. rather than have multiple redundant lists of my files.
The help forums aren't helpful at all in describing what's in the cache, where it is, why we need it, how to empty it, or how to get rid of it entirely.

If I had known this would happen, I would have switched to Norton. I have that on other computers, and I've never seen anything like this happen with Norton.

Post a Comment