Thursday, May 06, 2010

Clickthrough Rate

Over the last month or so I've been updating pages to display the new Google Search bar, primarily because it uses 1kB less html code. So far just over a thousand pages have received the up-grade with the new code. But what about all the other page metrics I have to worry about, maybe it's time to work on a few of those; as in:

Page Bounce Rate
Pages with low Pageviews
Pages with a high Exit Rate
And on and on; there's just so many different ways to measure how a page is doing on the internet.

One metric I don't look at that often is search engine Click-Through Rate, or the amount of times a page shows up in a Google search but is not clicked on. Now the search term used or the query could be any term as long as it causes my engineering website to show up in the results returned in a Google search.

Of the 6,091 queries, Google provides no data at all for the lower 4,500 searches. I assume because the page impressions are to low [a percentage] to track; however I really don't know. There are another 1000 queries that display an impression but no Clickthrough data, maybe because the clickthrough rate is below 1%. Because the first term with a clickthrough shows up with a 1% clickthrough rate; which would be the worst search term with any data. The 'worst' Google search term in the report is "DVI" which I assume relates to the page I have on the DVI interface. That DVI page shows up on the first page as #8 out of 32,500,000 results. The DVI search term causes my page to be displayed in the Google search results 6,600 times with only 58 people clicking on the link [over the last month].

So there are thousands more search terms with different impressions and click-through rates. For example the term 'Derating' had only 58 search impressions but 12 click-throughs. So the question is, should I work on pages that have no or low search impression or web pages with a low clickthrough rate? What-ever; working any page based on this data would be Search Engine Optimization [SEO].

Related Blog posts 
[Custom Search Bar 4/2/10]
[Web Site Speed Performance 4/3/10]
[Web Site Speed Enhancements 4/15/10]
[Web Site Performance 4/22/10]

Graphic: Top Search Queries as Page Link Impressions vs. Clickthrough Rate.

3 comments:

Leroy said...

5/8/10 I was just looking at some of those number in the graph, and most of them are the same. This must be some kind of average because it's not possible to have the same number of clicks every days; right?

Even many of the 'blue' numbers are the same.......

Leroy said...

5/19/10 I also just noticed that the Search Queries report is not updated ever day. The current Search report only goes up to May 16th.

I also just found a search bar on the report page, which I hadn't seen before ~ I like the search bar.....

Leroy said...

If I already didn't say, this graph is sliding, the earliest I can't look back in time is 4/25 ~ which is covered by the last portion of the above graph. So basically I can only compare the last 30 days in time. However you can down load the table into excel and track the data on your own if you wanted.

BTW the search queries do change as I look at other countries, the two lines track each other instead of just being flat lines.

Post a Comment