Thursday, May 20, 2010

Visitor Demographics, Web Site

Here is what Google Analytics has for the Engineering Site visitor demographics [year to date]. The graphic indicates visitors from the United States [US] only. Data is available for many other countries as well, but not all countries display this chart. There are also a number of additional tables of data that go along with graph, but there not as interesting.

Now I did get this chart from the Google Analytics, but it appears that the data was generated by Doubleclick [which Google purchased a year ago]. So I might assume that the data is not as good as if it really came from Google, because they track my visitors. However there are other sites that produce more or less the same data; but they use different methods of producing their data.

For example, Alexa produces some of the same graphs, but you would have to be using an Alexa tool-bar to be counted in their data. They indicate a small amount of Female visitors, while Doubleclick indicates none. Alexa also indicates many more visitors in the age range of 18-24, again doubleclick indicates zero visitors. I just looked at the Alexa data, but I do have a posting from 7/1/09 which shows what their charts look like [Alexa Demographics].

Quantcast also has some of the same data, but I'm not really sure how they get their information [see note below]. Here is another previous posting from 10/2/07 showing one of their charts [Quantcast data]. Their data is also different. I think it's so different I'll post their data to the right.  The time ranges between the two sets of the charts are different, but I'm just working with what I have. Either way, the two graphs show how or what different companies collect and how they display the data.

The point is who do you believe, and why doesn't Google use their own data. I guess Google is using the data from doubleclick because they already had the program. Then why doesn't Google send over the right data, they know every thing about my web site. Then again how would Google know if a visitor was a man or woman ~ there most have been some kind of sigh-up with doubleclick? 

Note: One method to generate information for Quantcast data is to add a small amount of code to your web page(s). For several months I had that code on my home page and a few other high traffic pages [out of 1,300 pages]. However I removed the code to increase page loading time. The real point is before I had added the code Quantcast had my monthly traffic at 9800 visitors, while after I added the code to those few pages the traffic went up to 39000 visitors. Currently it appears to be running around 22000, but that's not the point. How accurate is the data these sites provide.

Of course I don't care what my site's visitor demographics is, unless some company emailed and said they would only advertise if I had a particular kind of visitor ~ which has never happened.

I need to promote a few web pages that are getting no page views [less than 10 this year], sorry;
2N3867 Transistor derating curve............... 2N2944 Transistor derating curve.
2N6762 FET derating curve..................1N4454 Diode derating curve.
PCM Waveforms, IRIG.
Graphic: McDonnell Douglas KC-10 Extender in flight

2 comments:

Leroy said...

5/20/10 I guess I should say that none of those pages with low page views have a page ranking from Google. There all more than a year old on the web. Of course a few of those devices are not that common anyway.

Leroy said...

5/23/10 It would appear I am sending Google data to 'Google' ad planner, doubleclick. There's a button on one of those pages that I used to elect to send Google Analytics data to doubleclick. So now I have no idea why the data seems off.

But I clicked around a few of those doubleclick pages and I could not figure out what that site was trying to do for me, that could be why I never visit those pages. I guess if I was running adwords it would make a bit more sense. But I don't run adwords so I'm not going to waste any time looking at the doubleclick pages.

I guess my only comment would be that if they can't tell if a man or women visits my site, they should not display a graph which indicates 100% of the visitors are men. I assume the income chart is in the same boat, why put out bad data?

Post a Comment