Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Page De-listed and not found

I was working on updating a page the other day and I did a Site Search for it, so I could see how it displayed in the Web Browser. Well guess what, the page did not come up in the Google Search bar I have on the site. Two other pages that pointed to it showed up, but not the page it-self.
The page in question shows a Derating Curve for a 2N3762 Transistor, UA Package. However the two pages that showed up in the listing were for a Temperature Derating Curve for 2N3765 Transistor and a list of PNP Transistor Derating Curves. So the assumption is that the page relating to the 2N3762 PNP Transistor was delisted. Now I noticed that there is another related page; the main 2N3762 Transistor Design page and the 2N3762 Transistor in a U4 package which also should have showed up in the search results.

Now if I put a Google Site Search on my Engineering web site, I would expect Google to search my site ~ that's the point of the search bar. What Google does on their own site is up to Google, but my pages should come up on my site.

I was also working on another page [IRIG PCM Waveforms] and I checked Google Analytics stats for that page and only a few page views showed up. So I again did a Google site search and that page does not show as listed either.

These pages exist on the site, but many people may not navigate to the correct page to see the data, they may just use the search engine. I assume they click away when the correct page does not show up in the search.

Attached picture; A-10 Thunderbolt II In-flight, US Air force [USAF].

2 comments:

Chandler Hall said...

Hey Leroy,

I have set up a few Google Custom Search boxes on sites. I assume you used the custom google search item within your personal profile? There are a couple of items...you may need to return to that section of your profile and tweak the search parameters if you've added those pages that aren't showing up. Try rebuilding the custom search engine from scratch too.

Leroy said...

I guess I should take a look, but that Transistor page(s) was added in Dec 2008, so they are not new pages. Also there are pages that link to them, so if they don't show up on a Google search, they have to have been removed. My point was that the custom search bar should not act the same as a Google search for web sites.

One last point when I look at my data in Google Web Master Tools for my sitemap: URLs submitted = 1,653 pages. Indexed URLs = 1,383.
That implies that there are 300 pages that are not indexed by Google [not listed in their search data].

Post a Comment