Saturday, April 03, 2010

Web Site Speed Performance

I figured I would follow yesterdays posting regarding adding the new, smaller, script for the Google search bar with how Google sees my site when down-loading. Remember their web spider, GoogleBot, reads 500 of my pages every day. See a previous blog posting on Special crawl setting. So Google would know if my server was slow or not.

Here is what Google had to say; "Performance overview
On average, pages in your site take 3.7 seconds to load (updated on Mar 26, 2010). This is slower than 55% of sites. These estimates are of medium accuracy (between 100 and 1000 data points). The chart above shows how your site's average page load time has changed over the last few months. For your reference, it also shows the 20th percentile value across all sites, separating slow and fast load times."

Google Webmaster Tools gives a lot of page examples and what I could do to speed them up.
Their first suggestion is to 'Enable qzip compression' to reduce the page size. That's a nice idea but it makes working on the page a bit hard. Why don't I just save the 2k and continue to replace the Google search bar. I mean I am careful about up-loading large graphic files. In fact for pic files that can't be reduce, get uploaded to GoogleSites, and I only use a link to the file.

Their second suggestion is to 'Minimize DNS lookups', well guess what the DNS lookups are being used to access Google products. There are three common look-ups that they are referring to.
A logo used with the old Google search bar, which gets removed as the new search bar replaces it.
The Google Analytics code that I use as the site counter, provided by Google.
Finally, Google is complaining about pic files that I'm storing on Google Picasa that it has to down load. I just posted about Google Picasa off-line the other day too and how I used Picasa to save bandwidth.

So there are three of the four things Google says is slowing down my site, and there all Google products, does that make any sense. The fourth compression issue may not be an issue at all if the rest of the Google code on my page was a tad bit smaller. For example the new search bar code that is much smaller than it's been over the last five years. The adsense code also got smaller a few years ago, but could also be smaller.

3 comments:

Leroy said...

4/7/10 The data was up-dated by web-master tools to cover the last 30 days. Now Google indicates that my site is slower than 52% of other web site. So I just got 4% faster.

Leroy said...

4/14/10 Now it indicates 3.5 seconds to load, slower than 59% of the sites. So I guess it changes each time the report up-dates.

Leroy said...

12-15-10 Sometimes a page was to big to fix or to remove all the white space which would improve loading speed. If a page had to many links or a very large table, some of the white space remained so to much time was not spent on a single page.

After 8 months I'm getting back to these 'larger' pages, and removing the remaining white space. Of course I haven't spent 8 months just enhancing page loading time, I've added new pages and more content as well.

Much of the graph these days stays around 3 seconds, but there are a few increase which much be due to internet issues and not because of my web site.

Post a Comment