Monday, November 14, 2005

Site HTML Coding


Home Page Posted by Picasa


Most of the site [www.interfacebus.com] is really just text and links, with a few graphics sprinkled about. The site does not contain flash or any other script to keep the bandwidth down and the page loading speed up. I've even pulled off the background from all the pages to keep the bandwidth down ~ just a white back ground at this point. It just costs to much money when I go over the limit of my bandwidth. Although I have a better hosting plan then I did 6 months ago.

Most of the time I use [Evrsoft] 1st Page 2000 as the HTML editor to work on the web site. 1st Page 2000 was a freeware program I've been using since about 2000. Some times I may also use Macromedia Dreamweaver MX version 6 which is a little better at finding some of the HTML mistakes. I have down loaded the First page; 2006 beta version, but it appears this latest version will not be free. Because I already have two HTML editors I don't need to purchase another editor. Also, the 2006 version appears very much like dreamweaver. All the coding is in regular HTML version 4 [I guess]. I've looked at XML but it seems to generate more code then what I already have so I've stayed away.

Many of the early graphics were generated using MS Publisher, but I stopped using that program some time ago because of the cost of upgrading and because it wasn't supported by other programs. Now most graphics are generated using Microsoft Power Point. With PhotoImpact as the touch up program. I have PhotoImpact version 10.

To check valid links on the site I use Xenu Link Sleuth, version 1.2g, which happens to be freeware. I also check selected links by hand. Xenu is really pretty good, but it has a habit of checking all 4000 links and then locking up on the last few waiting for them to clear. Tree Builder 2.1, also freeware, is used to generate the tree for the frame version of the site. Although I just pull off the link to the frames version.

I have all the different browser programs to insure the site looks right within each different program. Those include; MS Explorer, Firefox, Opera, and sometimes Netscape. I no longer run out-dated versions, instead I always download the latest version as soon as it comes out. As of this year I moved to Style Sheets for the web site, finally dropping support for Netscape 4.7 which I still found on our work computers. Those early versions of Netscape did not support stile sheets.

Oh and the OS is Windows XP Professional version [on the desk top PC], and Home edition on the laptop computer.

This should be the last of the "how the web site works" series. Now I can move onto just blogging and discussing computer issues...

No comments:

Post a Comment