Tuesday, November 15, 2005

DDR SSTL Interface


DIMM Posted by Picasa


I just added a new page covering SSTL switching levels, including SSTL3, SSTL2, and SSTL18.

SSTL-18 is used as the electrical interface for the DDR II memory standard, and the SSTL-2 specification is used with the DDR I memory standard.

The new SSTL page is located under the IC bus listing at:www.interfacebus.com/SSTL_Logic_Interface.html. With that new page, three additional pages were up-dated to point to that new link. The DDR 1 DIMM, and DDR2 DIMM pages and the Interface IC Buses page were updated to include the new link.

The Sub Series Termination Logic [SSTL] standards defined under JEDEC are electrical only specifications, which means normally they only define the timing and switching levels.

DDR I memory modules are currently in wide spread production, while DDR II is seeing only limited use. In fact, AMD does not even support DDR2 memory yet. AMD will not support the DDR II standard until they introduce their new M2 processor socket which is not due out until the second quarter of 2006. The M2 socket will provide a re-designed on-die memory controller allowing DDR-2 support, and at the same time obsolete the processor socket 939.

My system uses a socket 939 AMD processor. I'd like to get my next system early next year, so I my be stuck with my current socket and DDR I memory modules again. I doubt I would wait another four months just to pay a premium for the new stuff. Although the price difference between DDR and DDR2 DIMMs seems to be zero. I'm sure the M2 socket will be pricey when it first comes out. That may just leave me with a dual core 939 processor with the same DDR memory

DDR stands for Double Data Rate [Memory], DDR I may also be seen as DDR1 or just DDR, and DDR2 may also be DDR II.
DIMM stands for Dual In-Line Memory Modules

You can find definitions, speed grades and a list of manufacturers on the Memory Module page.

1 comment:

Leroy said...

2/24/10 I was checking how visitors from this blog were coming over to interfacebus.com and I noticed that this page has sent the most refers over, just over 400 from this page. I assume it the topic of SSTL.

But what I don't under stand is why those 400 people found this SSTL topic, and not the other one on my web site, which even has a page rank.

Oh the only blog page that has sent more visitors to my site is the main blog page, which kind of seems right.

The SSTL interface page has more text and info than this page. It even bring up SSTL_18 and SSTL_2 series data.

Anyway that's
400 from 2005 - 2010,
200 from 2008 - 2010,
100 from 2009 - 2010.
So even 5 years after I blogged about DDR and SSTL signally I'm still getting 100 visits ~ not to bad. One good reason to start a blog.

There are about 500 posts contained in this blog, but only about 100 of them generate visitors. Most seem to sent new site visitors, or people that have not yet found the site

Post a Comment