Friday, April 23, 2010

AMDs 6-Core Processor

Did I just read an article saying AMD would come out with a new six-core processor for a mere $200. I think it may be time to up-grade my PC and get a new one. What; I'll have to upgrade to the new MS OS, what ever that is. I'll have to go out and find out what people are saying about OS7 [Windows 7]

Windows 7
-- Improved performance with multi-core processors
-- Improved boot performance
-- Does not yet support USB 3.0 [available with SP1 late 2010]
Desktop
-- No USB 3.0 support yet [that I found]
-- PCI Express 3.0 not yet been released [later this year]
-- Serial ATA revision 3.0 [no products found yet]
-- DDR3  [mainstream support]
Ok I guess this blog posting is pointless. I would like the 6-core processor, but not at any cost. My office applications wouldn't even really see any advantage any way. But more importantly I find no support for USB 3.0 or Serial ATA version 3.0. I also don't want Windows 7 before the first service pack.

So why purchase a PC that will be out-of-date 6 months after I get it. By next year all USB drives will be USB 3.0. I'm not sure if I would wait for PCIe 3.0 support, I'd be waiting another year. So no new PC for me this year, I'd just end up giving it away 6 months later.

I did note that the AMD3 socket processor style is out. ~
Six core AMD Processors; Phenom II X6 1055T and Phenom II X6 1090T

2 comments:

Leroy said...

I see that Intel will not be releasing a USB 3.0 chipset until 2012?

However there may be a few USB 3.0-capable motherboards from Asus, Gigabyte and Asrock, although I have not checked this yet.

Leroy said...

11/19/2010 PCIe version 3.0 has been released.

I did finally get a new PC a few weeks ago, just a quad core Intel processor.

Post a Comment