Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Google now ranks pages by Speed

Seems hard to believe, but they do indicate that one of the 200 different criteria for Page Rank is page loading time. Recall that just a few posts ago I indicated that their own speed rating was complaining about their own Google products [Web Site Speed Performance] being used on my pages. Even back in 2007 I had complained about the (then new) W3C strict coding style with the Physical Page Size post, as even the smallest function required a large amount of coding.

Anyway most of the comments (including mine) to Google's blog posting were negative, and for good reason. How do you trade off page content with page loading speed. Many people mentioned Google Analytics code [tracking] or Adsense code [ads] as issues with loading time. However there were two comments I would like to bring over from two different posters [each from a different Google Blog];

"Doesn't this punish the small operator who has less control over their, usually shared, hosting? Or those in countries that have lesser infrastructure? At the same time, allowing bigger business to throw money at the speed problem and gain a better ranking?"

"With the recent court ruling with the FCC vs. Comcast speed might be tiered or throttled in the future. Is that a concern?"

Anyway it's already been said on those blogs. It's the Gmail Buzz debacle 1 month later, I just don't get it ~ as I remove Google product the rest of the night.

The attached graphic is daily stats for the engineering website for March 2010 [generated by AWSTATS]. Nice to look at, but the real reason it's here is because it was just deleted from my site ~ replaced with a link to this posting. It was a large graphic that required an additional DNS look-up [because it was located out on Google Picasa]. The next few posts will also contain one of these FAQ pics as they are moved off the site to increase the speed of those pages. The pics also get dumped from Picasa.

3 comments:

Leroy said...

The reason I'm loading the FAQ graphics to this blog is two fold. First the graphic [or DNS look-up] is removed from the main site, and secondly I now have a web page that points to a blog posting ~ which is self supporting.

Now I could have generated another free Google sites page to hold these graphics, but I just didn't see the point. These FAQ pages only get a few page views, and I would not get the link to this blog.

Even if these FAQ pages were only receiving a few page views, that only means my server bandwidth was not really effected. However Google could see it as just another slow page regardless of how many page views it received.

Leroy said...

Since the post about adding the new search bar a few days ago 536 pages have received the smaller size search bar [smaller in code]. In total 618 pages have been up-dated, as I started to update the search bar a few days before I posted about it.

Leroy said...

6/10/10 So all the search bar enhancements have been made, saving about 1k of down-load speed. Of course as I add new data I eat that 1K savings back up.

I added 20 new pictures just this month and I put all of them out on my server. None of the new graphic files were loaded to Google Picasa because their site performance tool indicated that out-sourced files required another DNS look-up. Last month I removed a half dozen pic files from Picasa and moved them to my server for the same reason.

I am also still working on making some of the pages smaller in size, but not at the rate I was changing out the Google search bar.

Currently my site is rated at about 50% of all sites for down-load time.

Post a Comment