Thursday, August 07, 2008

edison software program review

I down loaded and installed edison from Verdiem tonight based on an article I saw. What a waste of time that was, and now they have my e-mail address.

The program was to make my computer go green by giving me more control over how it operated when I wasn't using it, when it should go to sleep and so on. I was going to make a smaller carbon foot-print and help the environment ~ or not.

I clicked on the schedule tab to set my time when I use the computer, it indicates the 'non-work time' is already set for you ~ how the hell does the program know that? The 'work time' is adjustable but fixed for the days you select, so you can select 9 to 5 Monday through Friday. My computer usage is 5am to 7am M-F and 6pm to 8pm M-F, but you can't select two different time frames. Plus, Saturdays and Sundays are also different, but again the time frame is fixed regardless of the day.

How is this different than just having the OS put the computer in sleep mode? edison is a joke, plus I have yet one more program running in my task bar consuming my expensive memory.

I do not recommend using edison by Verdiem because I just don't see how it benifits a user. Yes it tells you your kWh usage or saving or what ever, but so what. The program is taking up $50 of my RAM to do the same thing that Windows Vista already does. Yes it "seems" to calculate a savings if I set it to turn my PC off while I'm still using it, but that's not why I purchased a $2000 computer.

I only opened it, noticed the lack of options and closed the program two minutes later. I did not detect any options that made it appear any different than the options with the MS OS, and I plan to remove it once I submit this posting. Any e-mails to my gmail account will be flagged as spam.

1 comment:

Erin Skelly said...

I agree!

I had installed Edison based on an article I read (I wonder if we read the same one?), and immediately my battery life dwindled to nothing.

On my Vaio laptop, using the Vista Power Saver Setting I could get almost four hours out of my battery; with Edison, I was lucky if I got 45 minutes on my battery.

And if I de-selected Edison as my power setting (re-placing it with Vaio Optimized or Power Saver), one my laptop went into hibernation mode and I started to use it, my power setting automatically defaulted to Edison again.

This program is awful for someone on a laptop - presumably one purchase a laptop for portability, but what's the point of your power setting renders your battery completely useless?

And considering the negligible kilowatts or whatever it takes to run a laptop (I read somewhere that it only takes one or two cents to power a laptop for an hour or two), what's the point?

Post a Comment