Saturday, November 03, 2007

Server Bandwidth


I took a look at webalizer, one of the counters located on the server.

I notice that the header pic used for the Dictionary section and Alphabetic Manufacturers sections of the web site used 738949 kBytes or 756,683,776 bytes! The jpg is a 112 kbyte graphic. So I loaded the graphic up to Google pages and changed the CSS file controlling those sections to grab the file from Google pages and not from my server. That should save my server from down loading 700 MBytes each month.

The Dictionary section had 9,941 page impressions, and the Manufacturers section had 1,860 page impressions last month. I think the How-To Design an Equipment Chassis section also used that format, another 1,158 impressions. Any other section that used the same CSS file will automatically switch over.

I also change this blog template so that the icons shown at the bottom of these pages come from Google Pages and not from my server.

The server provides 50 GBytes of bandwidth, and the site only uses about 15 GBytes, so there was no danger of being fined for exceeding the bandwidth limit. However what this does is take the strain of the server, so files are coming in from two different servers making the page show up faster ~ assuming both servers are working correctly.

I also changed the HTML code on each of the main Dictionary sub-sections so they grab there navigation icons from Google, there are several sections covering different topics.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, the header graphic for this blog was up-loaded to Blogger, so it was never coming from my server.

Anonymous said...

Hmm Google pages just wen down. There wen those gif files the server was putting up ~ it's a risk, I know.

Post a Comment