Friday, November 30, 2007

HDMI-1.3 Specification


Been reading up on the release of version 1.3 of the HDMI standard. HDMI stands for High-Definition Multimedia Interface. Seen many comments on the major changes and how it renders the previous versions obsolete ~ HDMI 1.3 is backward compatible.

The High-Definition Multimedia Interface is provided for transmitting digital television audio visual
signals from DVD players, set-top boxes and other audio-visual sources to television sets,
projectors and other video displays. HDMI can carry high quality multi-channel audio data and can carry all standard and high definition consumer electronics video formats. HDMI can also carry control and status information in both directions.

I checked each of my Digital Audio/Video Receivers, both made by Sony. I have an STR-DE485 which is a 5-to-1 system, and a STR-DE995 7-to-1 system. Neither of these 'control centers' have an HDMI port. And I was worried I had an earlier version than 1.3. Both of these units are still 'like new', what now I need this HDMI interface? Component review; I like both AV systems.

I didn't bother checking the HD TV because I wouldn't mind changing that out for a larger one. Same for the DVD players, I'll change them out for a newer Blu-Ray, or the other one when things calm down in the DVD wars.

1 comment:

Leroy said...

8/17/10 Just an up-date; the two new Blu-ray players and a Flat screen TV I have all came with HDMI connectors. However non of the other gear I have has an HDMI connector.

Post a Comment