Tuesday, May 02, 2006

New Video Card





I added a new video card to the HP m7470n PC tonight. I added an ATI Radeon X 1300 Pro video card with 256MB of RAM and supplying one VGA port and one DVI port.I need the two ports to handle the two LCD monitors I use. I also understand that the on-board VGA connector will accept another monitor but I have not attempted that yet. I did not go into the BOIS to disable that other video connection as described in the doc's.

The HP m7470n does appear to be faster than the Alienware PC it replaces, but I'm still working with it. ~ loading software and files. The HP computer is now my main computer [for now].

The Alienware is just behind me running on a single 17" LCD, while I use the HP7470 on two 19" LCD screens. The room is some-what cool at 81.5 F, with the AC and fan running, but the exit air from the HP is 101.3F. Normally the Alienware exit air would be up 10F.

The HP only comes with a 300 watt power supply which is vary disappointing for a PC over $1000. The PC's I looked at on-line were all 600W.

I think, just by plugging in the new video card I'm over driving the Power supply! An empty slot but you can only plug in a $25 video card ~ so why up-grade at all.....


Status update; I ended up giving the computer away about a year and half later.
That was a nice video card though.

A few months ago I finally end up giving the Alienware computer away too.

And I also no longer see a need for a VGA input.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Graphic; ATI Radeon X 1300 Pro video card.

No comments:

Post a Comment