Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Laptop Power Inverter


I picked up that auto power inverter for the notebook computer tonight. The unit is a 140 watt adapter; 12 volt vehicle power to 120 volt AC moble power.

The power inverter is made by CyberPower, model # CPS140BI with a 180 degree swivel head, one 3 prong AC plug, a green power/surge LED [surge protected].

The specifications are;
Output Voltage: 120 Vac, 60Hz
Output Power: 140 watts [Continuous power]
Input Voltage: 10.8Vdc to 15.8V DC
Input Current: 12A max

Normally power inverters provide the maximum instantanious current [power] in large font, and it's up to the buyer to insure it will handle the user's Continuous power requirements. This unit only gives the Continuous power, leaving the maximum power to be computed; 12 Amps x 15.8 volts = 189.6 watts.

The HP ze4805wm laptop PC uses 75.05 watts: 19Vdc x 3.95A

I turned the car on, pluged the unit in and powered-up the laptop. I let the PC boot up and then I turned it off. I didn't notice any heat coming off the power inverter.

Power inverter manufacturers
Laptop manufacturers

The CyberPower CPS140BI cost me $29.94. The weight must be 3 pounds lighter then the unit I did have. Also this fits in the console, while the older Vector Force 350 unit needed to be placed on the floor under your feet.

No comments:

Post a Comment