Sunday, May 14, 2006

m7470n Review


I'm still really happy with the HP m7470n computer [AMD X2 4200+]. It does seem to be faster than the Alienware PC I was using [AMD 3800]. There are a few minor issues I do have with it.

First; the 300 watt power supply is pointless, it's not large enough to fully load the extra expansion slots on the PC ~ like adding a high end video card. Second; the documentation seems inaccurate. The HP site shows a m7470n populated with expansion cards which did not come on my computer. The store site indicates the PC has a video card, which it does not. Finally much of the front of the PC is dedicated to a large removable hard drive bay. I don't have an HP removable drive and don't really need one.

I like the fact it does not have a front door ~ I hated the door on the Alienware PC

I have yet to add the 10,000 rpm Raptor to the system yet. I have also not done anything with the TV card or any thing to do with multi-media ~ I just run a web site.

There are a few additional posts on the m7470n
interfacebus: New Video Card

interfacebus: On-Board Video

interfacebus: New Computer

My only other comment concerns Open Office which I use on this PC. Seems really slow, but I am not using the quick start option. Open Office did not come with the HP PC, I loaded that software.

Be careful with card additions; I think I'm allowed 10 watts per slot. The video card I added uses around 70 watts. It was the lowest grade video card at the store with two video inputs ~ still a good card.

Listing of Computer Manufacturers

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just installed a used Corsair 850w psu in My HP Pavilion Media Center m7470n PC(I had to repair a 12v wire on the psu[pci-e cable] with some heat shrink tubing), Sure It's a tight fit, But now instead of a weak 300w psu[19A on the 12v rail], The m7470n now has an 850w psu[70A on the 12v rail] that can support a GTX295(Which I have and which fits too).

Anonymous said...

Oh and the 850w Corsair psu is not the modular version, It's the Yellow one, As the modular one is longer than 160mm.

Post a Comment