Tuesday, February 12, 2008

404 Document Not Found, HTML Code


Sometimes I'll see a number of 404 codes in my server stats and notice that there coming in from a particular forum or blog. Normally someone has just referenced my web site, but misspelled the page address, or just got the case wrong ~ I'm unix.

Any way when I see a large number of hits coming in to a page that does not exist, I'll generate a 'holding' page to redirect them to the correct address. Usually the surge in hits only lasts a few days until the link falls off the front page of the forum. But they keep coming as other addresses or if someone happens to find the link in a search. However I have not added one of those re-direct pages in a while, instead just relying on the 404 page to collect the visitor and hope they find their own way to the correct page.

The attached graphic shows page impression from Adsense. I generated my own unique 404 page back in Now. 2007, of course I placed ads on it. So the re-direct pages constantly get one or two page hits a-day, while the new 404 pages are now seeing 10 to 15 page views.

I use 'channels' in Adsense to break out different sections in the web site, in this case the channel is "bad page address". There are 126 pages in the 'bad address' channel, the 404 page, and 120 other misspelled web addresses...

Graph is date vs page impressions.

1 comment:

Leroy said...

Although the 404 pages I generate do not point directly to the page a person is looking for, they do represent a 10x number of ad views.

I don't have time to generate a new holding page just because one person mis-types one of my address, so these 404 pages should help, as they contain a search bar for the site.

Post a Comment