Wednesday, December 01, 2010

Mobile Device Usage Statistics

As part of up dating the FAQ for the Engineering Site, I'm inserting a posting about which mobile devices are accessing the web site. I haven't checked this data type since the last post a year ago, looks like there's been a change. Incoming visits from mobile devices have doubled over this last year. However doubling a small number is still a small number. The Frequency Ask Questions pages don't get many hits, but I still like to keep the information updated. In order to save server bandwidth I redirect some of the FAQ data out to this blog, but it's still an interesting data point for blog readers.

I tried to check for a percentage change year-to-year in the mobile phones using the site, but for what ever reason Google didn't have it [or said it was estimated]. So the only thing I'll show is this years data and which phones are being used the most, but no change from year-to-year. Of course most of the visits [46%] are coming from an iPhone which is understandable.

A few years back there was a particular way a web page had to be set up to work on a mobile device ~ I assume that's not required any longer with the newer systems and bigger screens. Any way it doesn't matter I don't have time to rewrite 2,000 web pages just for 3,000 hits a year. The site receives 9,000 a day from people on a normal computer. But it is nice to see an increase in any of these reports I pull up, makes me think I'm getting some place.

This graph shows visits, which are increasing. However all the other metrics are worse than normal computer visitors except percent new visits. Meaning most people coming in are new to the site, but they leave faster and view fewer pages than normal computer 'people'.

No comments:

Post a Comment