Saturday, December 04, 2010

Increasing Page Views

I don't really track the number, but I add around two or three new pages to the Engineering Site each month.

Of course I would hope that the new page(s) would generate more incoming visitors, but there's little chance of that. Remember it takes three months just to get a page rank and start to show up in the Search Engine Pages [SEP]. Maybe another month before that until Google spiders and reads the page. Or any page I generated in the last half of the year had no chance of receiving any page views.

So the table below compares pageviews from this year to last year. It might seem like that there's not much of a change, but most pages increased in page views. However many pages still hover around the first three rows. So many of the pages I added only received just a few page views, with almost no page views during the first three months.

However there's another way to look at the situation. A new page may bring in a new visitor, which might revisit the site.


The increase in pages in the first row are new pages. Most of the rest of the pages are stuck there.
There are 50 pages that make up the 6 year old Index of Semiconductor Manufacturers section that refuse to get a Page Rank, no matter how many times I link to them. Most of the 3 year old 115 pages that make up the Transistor Derating Curves section also have never received a Page Rank, regardless of what I've done.

I just updated a 3 year old page that only received 8 page views this year. I pulled a 90k pic file off Picasa, reduced it to 50k and stored it on my server. I deleted another Picasa graphic altogether because it could be found by an on-page link. I also changed a few important key words. The point was not to get more pages views, its transistor part number [page topic] must be obsolete so the page will never receive any page views.

Instead what I did was make the page look less like the other 115 similar pages in that section, and make it load faster [for Google] to keep them happy. Files that are stored external to the site require a DNS look-up, which Google thinks slows down a site ~ part of Google's rating systems measures page loading speed. The 50k file on my server should not hurt because the page is never viewed, except by the web spiders. So having this page appear different may help the pages getting page-views, because one less page looks the same.

Anyway if a page received 1,000 page-views last year it would have to see over a 900% increase to move up to the next row. So understandably most pages stay in the same row they were found in last year, even if they had a 100% increase in views.


The site is currently receiving 7.21% more Pageviews than last year, with 3,978,019 current pageviews. So the site has already passed the number of page views received last year. The table above is Pageviews, the chart to the left is number of visits.

The program that generates the data is Google Analytics, and the report is Top Data, order from highest pageviews down [which I then just count]. Using Google Analytics requires a small amount of Java code on each of your web pages.

Many of the pages in my report with only one page view for the year are really just mis-spelled page addresses. The viewer just sees the sites 404, page not found, but the report records it as the address that the server received. Many types of 'wrong addresses can be filtered, but many can't, sometimes I can't even tell if it's a real page address with out pulling up the page. Opening the page will give it another count which could cause it to look like a real page address when I check it later. So the first row of data is an estimate, because I started to get down to the misspelled pages in the report.

This is a long post just to say that adding new pages or worrying about getting those pages included in the Google index may not help the over-all web site. You still need to come up with content that people are looking for.
.

2 comments:

Leroy said...

12-4-10 I should add that many of my pages are pretty specific, even if your an engineer. So when I add a new page designed to add detail to a topic already covered, it makes it even harder to get a 'new' page view. Not only do you need interest in the main or general topic, but you also need to be looking for even more specific information relating to that topic, or need to be looking for an answer to a single question.

So it's more important to have the data for that one person looking for it, than it is to count page-views. However in all cases I would like to get the URL included in Google's web index so somebody can find it.

Just for the record if Google does not include one of my pages in its index, that page can't be found using the Google search bar on my site either.

Leroy said...

12-5-10 In January 2009 I added a new page holding graphics of Circular DIN Connectors.

The page is 5 levels deep into the site, linked of the Engineering 'C' terms page which is part of the dictionary of engineering terms.

Any way last year the page received 257 page views, and this year received 543 page views. Although the page did start out in row two, even after the views went up 100% the page is still in row two. That page would have to double again next year to get over a 1000 pageviews ~ three years after I generated it.

My point is just to show an example of why so many pages are hovering around the first 3 rows.

Worse yet, the connectors describe on that page are in decline, so I really don't expect any increase in page views next year.

Post a Comment