Friday, November 26, 2010

How to get more incoming links

I'm looking at the Crawl Errors from other web sites pointing to my Engineering Site. There must be 100 external links pointing to my site that are misspelled [some my have */ or other characters]. The incoming links point to about 40 different pages on my site. Many of the links appear to be copies of each other, as in 6 different web sites using the same bad web address. Some of the incoming links are from web forums or blogs which would explain why there are more than one different page using the same bad link. I still get the 404 page hit regardless, but I'll bet most people just click away.

But why would different web pages use invalid links, it just makes their page look inaccurate. In some cases it appears that a page is using my data but not really giving me proper credit, with an invalid link. You would think they would check their links.

Anyway it seems like Google is increasing their web directory, although I can't tell if these pages show up in a Google search. One forum posting was done in 2007, but Google indicates it was found in Nov of 2010 [Google uses the term Discovery Date]. Same thing for another page link, two incoming links were discovered in 2007, but five more bad links [copies] were found in 2010.
------------

1 comment:

Leroy said...

11/29/10 I just checked another Crawl error page ~ or link. It's a post I wrote back in 2008, but Google indicates 'they just discovered it in 11/7/10. Now the link back to me was fine, but they moved all the words together on one of the replies to my post. That does tell me Google is increasing what it remembers........

Post a Comment