Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Google's Knol interface


I signed up for Knol from Google today. I had heard about it a few months ago, but at that time it was closed to most users. Knol is open to the general population now, and I signed up for it.

I assume Knol is Google's answer to Wikipedia, which is good but some what odd. Many search terms on Google return a listing from Wiki as the first listing on the results page. So why not come up with their own free social content collaboration 'encyclopedia' web portal. Of course the Wikipedia site gets a lot of bad press, so it could be that by next year the Knol site will see the same press, but it may depend on how they post those pages on their results page.

Any way I posted two articles today. Both need some help, but I posted them to get them out there. There should not be many people finding the pages at these stage, so it should not be a worry.

I posted one Knol on the Secure Digital card [flash memory] and one Knol on the declining RS-232 interface [re-posted from this blog]. However, neither posting shows up in a search yet? I did just see a link to verify my name, so I went ahead and did that, I got a call 10 seconds after hitting the submit button.

The attach picture depicts web visits to interfacebus from the Nerthlands so far this year.

2 comments:

Leroy said...

My Knols are finally showing up in a Knol search. I wrote two, one about the RS232 bus and one on the SD card. Not sure why it takes a few days to show up.

The one on the RS232 interface comes up with a notation on similar content 55% and points back to this blog, which holds the original text.

Maybe Google checks the web for content before posting the article.

Leroy said...

9-12-08 I'm still not seeing any incoming hits from Knol. I had a spike on the 4th, but other than that just a few hits every few days.

Of course all the pages all still new to the web, but I would think people using Knol would find me, or not.

Post a Comment