Friday, December 14, 2007

Webmaster Tools Sitemaps

Google added a few new things to their sitemap tool. Under Diagnostics / Content Analysis, they indicate meta-tag issues. The tab shows pages that have duplicate meta descriptions, and then long or short metatags.

Unfortunately, under the 'short meta descriptions', it indicates that I have 208 pages with issues. Most of the pages look like 'don't cares', their just Dictionary pages. Other than to say it's a dictionary page of letter what-ever, what more can you say.

I'll check it again next month, as I try it get that number lowered.

In the Google Blog I saw that, for people that run the Google tool bar, 404 not found pages will show a suggestion from Google as to what page they may be looking for. That's good news because interfacebus gets a lot of mis-spelled incoming hits.

8 comments:

Leroy said...

Feb 01/08 now show 156 pages with short meta tags. So there has been a reduction in 'errors' by 50 pages in 45 days....

Leroy said...

Feb 16/08 shows 147 web pages with a short meta-tag.

Leroy said...

March 4/08 now done to 114 meta tag issues. I just updated 12 pages. I did notice that a few of the pages had been updated with in the last few week, so I guess I'm not always watching for this error...

Oh, they get the new search bar too, that defaults to searching the web site and not the internet.

Leroy said...

4/08 again. I up-dated another 12 pages so I should be down to around 100 pages with meta-tag issues, but it could be even less as that Google report may not be up to date.
This is: Webmaster Tools / sitemaps / Diagnostics / Content Analysis

Leroy said...

April 03/08 The meta description report still indicates 123 web pages, but I can't tell when it gets updated. Seems I may have added a few new pages with short meta tags. I just fixed 10 or so pages today.

Sitemaps indicate that the last time the sitmap was looked at was 4/1/08

Leroy said...

4/19/08, The latest analysis indicates 104 pages with a short meta description, but I can't tell when that was reported. I just up dated another dozen pages, so that number should drop below 100 with the next check.

Leroy said...

5/3/08 The Content Analysis still indicates 91 pages with a short meta description. These pages are not being corrected as fast as hoped. However; Most pages up-dates, with no content update, are changed based on last touched date...

Leroy said...

5/15/08 Now down to 87 pages with short meta tags.
0 pages have long meta descriptions and duplicate descriptions.

Post a Comment