Thursday, December 20, 2007

Vista Speed Improvement Tweaks

I made a few changes to increase the speed of MS Vista booting up. I always open the same programs when starting my computer, such as a web browser or e‑mail program, you might find it convenient to have them start automatically when you start Windows. Programs or shortcuts placed in the Startup folder will run whenever Windows starts.

First I added the programs and files I use when working the web site to open on boot-up:
1. Click the Start button , click All Programs, right-click the Startup folder, and then click Open.
2. Open the location that contains the item to which you want to create a shortcut.
3. Right-click the item, and then click Create Shortcut. The new shortcut appears in the same location as the original item.
4. Drag the shortcut into the Startup folder.
The next time you start Windows, the program will run automatically.
Note; You can also make an individual file, such as a word-processing document, open automatically by dragging a shortcut of the file into the Startup folder.

I set up the Firefox browser to open up with each of the tabs normally used:
Open the tabs like you want them when you open Firefox. Then, go to Tools/Options/Main and click the "Use Current Pages" button.

I also setup MS Explorer to open with all it's tabs that are normally used:
IE7 is to have the same tabs open up next time the browser opens. To do this close the browser containing the tabs you want to open again next time. This will bring up a prompt asking you if you want to 'Open these the next time you open Internet Explorer'. Check the box!

Of course I added both Explorer & Firefox to open on startup. I also checked msconfig to see what else was loading at startup, but it did not look to bad. That's 'start' / 'search' / 'msconfig'.

Do not use "msconfig" to disable services, type "services.msc" in the Run box instead! Service settings are global, meaning changes apply to all users. All of these services are "Standard" with Windows Vista. If you discover a service that is not listed here, another application, driver or program

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok, that worked well. I just re-booted and every thing came up. The Tabs are in the correct place and the browsers are on the correct screens [dual PC screens]. I like that, the only thing that did not happen ~ the key board came up dark, so I had to turn on the LEDs to light the keyboard so I could see it. I hat this keyboard.

Of course what did not happen, many of the tabs did not log me in, but that's ok .....

Leroy said...

Oh btw Explorer already stopped opening with all of it's tabs. That didn't take long. Now I can't get the thing to open right ?

Post a Comment