Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Link Checker Firefox Extension

I went ahead and hand-checked about 20 pages in the OEM Manufacturers section. Now I did just check the entire web site the other day, but there's a catch. Those automated programs do not always find 'bad-links'.

If a site goes bad or out of business and their web site payment becomes due, then ads could pop-up instead of the old engineering information. Seems right, once the payments run out the domain registrar takes over and runs their own ads, and the site appears "good" to the automated software checker. So you still need to hand check links. Any way I only found one 'bad' link which pointed to an ad, out of 20 pages and 2 hours of checking.

I found Link Checker on the web today and I down loaded the program (but have not used it yet). What I have used is the Firefox Browser extension for Link Checker that checks links on a per page basis. Yes it's another automated program, but now if needed I can check a single page with out checking the entire site. Link Checker seemed to work well. I used it to check each of the 'A' pages in the OEM Company section.

While testing it I noticed that it checked all the internal and external links on a page. However when I went to the next page all my internal links went 'green' right away, telling me that the program was not rechecking them ~ which is good. Link Checker uses color to indicate if a link is good or bad, so some what easy to use. I just tried three other pages but all the links are coming up good. Maybe I'll post a comment in a few days if I do find a bad link with the program, or if I load and run the entire .exe version of the program. The best I can get is a Yellow link which I assume is a 'no robots allowed', not checked link.....

So it's not all about adding new pages, sometimes you have to insure that the pages that are already out there are good, or are otherwise not hurting the web site. I also should have said that the Link Checker program is fast, but only as fast as the site it's checking; right, because it has to wait until it gets a response from the external site.

No comments:

Post a Comment