Wednesday, August 04, 2010

Digital Living Network Alliance Products

I mentioned this DLNA certified BluRay player yesterday, thinking I might need it. I'm sure I would like to have DLNA but that may be years away. Because except for the BluRay player which I haven't even purchased yet no other gear that I have is compatible and I see no need to change any thing out until they break. Wireless stuff would be nice but I don't really think I would ever use any of it. I gave away the spare PC I had connected to the HDTV because I never used it, that was wireless too, but not to the TV. I assume the BluRay player would be called a Digital Media Player [DMP].

I would like a new PC but I've been waiting to figure out what they were going to do with USB 3.0 and for PCI-Express 3.0 to be released So I'm about a year away from getting a new PC, but maybe I don't need one [New PC Posting 4/23/10]. The Digital Living Network Alliance indicates that I would need a DLNA certified Network Attached Storage [NAS] device, which I could get instead of a new PC (I guess). I'm not really sure why I would need a network drive when a DLNA certified PC should work, I assume. I'm not really sure if a NAS is the same as a DMS [Digital Media Server] [HDD Vendors].

So the 2 year old 47" flat screen I just blogged about the other day does not appear to be compatible. The 53" or 57" floor model out in the front room has to be 10 years old and the 37" CRT in the back room is even older so this whole idea of caring about DLNA is out the window. I could be years away from getting a new TV.

So it would appear this blog posting is pointless, unless it helps someone like me to understand that unless their buying a whole new system DLNA is just not required.

1 comment:

Leroy said...

8/5/10 So I did end up getting a new BluRay player today which I'll blog about in a day or two. But when I was connecting it up I noticed the 53" floor standing TV did not have HDMI. It still had
DVI
. Now I did not check to see if it was DVI-I or DVI-D, but the point is the TV was still DVI, nothing ships with DVI any more. I also checked the Sony 7.1 Stereo Receiver driving the system and that was all Component Video, as was the TV. So the receiver, BluRay and TV all use component Video. So I'm years away from caring about a new connection. I still like the receiver and although I hate the size (bulk) of the TV it still seems new to me ~ maybe I spend to much time in my office. The TV may be almost 10 years old? and the Receiver may be 6 years old. I purchased the 7.1 surround a few years after getting a 5.1 surround stereo (which is now in the back room). Oh the TV still has S-video on it too, like any one remembers what that is.

Anyway I watched 10 min. of Avatar in BluRay testing the connections, looked great and sounded great with 7.1 surround sound, so I have no complaints.

In case any one cares; these days HDMI is the best connection to use, followed by Component Video, than S-Video, and then Composite Video. Not sure if DVI was better than Component Video, but I assume it was ~ to me that was always more of a computer interface. All the different video interfaces are listed on this page: http://www.interfacebus.com/Design_Connector_Video.html

Post a Comment