Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Computer Generated Pages

So I don't really know how many engineers read this blog, but I really need to comment on all these auto generated pages on the internet. Any time I try to look up a part on the internet all the search results that come back are just PC generated pages with nothing more than 100's of part numbers. Now a few of the pages do have a data sheet but they make you click through three pages to find the pdf version. So it's a bit time consuming to find a data sheet for a part that's less than common.

Up until a few months ago a search on Google would let you select the bogus site so they would not reappear in the search results. So by the next search I wouldn't let many of these sites show up. However instead of the de-select function Google changed that to a 'vote-for' star. When I'm looking for these components I don't see many sites to vote for. I just tested out Yahoo and they did a bit better, but not by much.If these guys would just add some content they wouldn't need 10,000 auto generated pages with every part number known to man....

Anyway I vented ~ I was looking for a Zener diode LVA62 which was on page 1 of Yahoo and 4 or 5 on Google. But every week I'm looking up part numbers....

I should also say this occurs much more often when looking for a part that may no longer be second sourced or in production decline, a part that is no longer in full production. I don't really have the same problem with newer parts, never if I know the current manufacturer ~ I can just go to the OEM's site and get the data sheet from there.

No comments:

Post a Comment