Wednesday, June 30, 2010

URLs in Web Index

I'm going to partially re-post a blog I wrote just a few weeks ago regarding web-pages included in Google's Index. I've only added a dozen pages in the last two months so the increase in the number of pages indexed has to be due the SEO changes being made to pre-existing pages already on the web. The Index History relates to an Engineering Portal on the web.

Index History:
6/30/10 = 1,504 indexed pages.
6/24/10 = 1,455 indexed pages
6/18/10 = 1,426 indexed pages
6/9/10   = 1,411 indexed pages.
5/31/10 = 1,400 indexed pages.
5/22/10 = 1,394 indexed pages.
4/7/10   = 1,309 indexed pages.
3/27/10 = 1,322 indexed pages. [Site-map loaded]
12/19/09 = 1,481 indexed pages. [Site-map loaded]
12/13/08 = 1,318 indexed pages. [Site-map loaded]


 That's not to bad, 12 new pages added, but 100 more pages indexed by Google.

Does the increase in indexed pages imply that all of a sudden the site will start receiving a great many more site visitors, not really. But it does mean that the newly indexed pages will show up in a Google search for that topic, maybe not first in the list but at least they will show up now.

 No Page Rank; Company index 'M'.

I think I'll run a new site map later tonight, once the traffic slows down. I'll get those dozen or so new pages included, and remove a few FAQ pages that have been de-linked over the last few weeks. I did have a few pages that are not being used but still had links pointing to them, but Google dropped them from the index long ago ~ time to removed the link and orphan the pages.
I'll add a comment to this post once Google has time to read the new sitemap.

Graphic; Number of visits to the web site 1/1/10 to 6/29/10 [mid-year update].
Year-to-date = 17.48% increase in visits over the same time period last year [192,858 more visits].

10 comments:

Leroy said...

6/30/10 Ok I did get that xml site-map generated and up-loaded to Google.
Number of URLs Submitted = 1668
Number of URLs Indexed = 1,535

That's an increase of 31 web pages included in Google's index over the last few hours, but that number may still go up or down.

Leroy said...

As of the 9th there are 1,566 pages indexed.

Leroy said...

I generated another site map the other day, after up-loading several new pages the previous week. Any way, I check the xml site map and it did not include the new pages I was trying to add. So I used the import function in the program so it looked at my local folder to read those files. Well the html files I had generated showed up in the xml site map.

I don't know why the program would not find the files out on the server, because they were there, maybe it only reads so many levels down?

So as of 7/17/10 Google indicates that there are now 1,915 URLs submitted in the sitemap, and 1,779 URLs in the web index ~ that's a big change. I guess for what ever reason the sitemap generator could not find 300 of my pages on the server, I don't think so....

Leroy said...

7-25-10 Looks like there was an extra html file on my local drive, because Google indicates 1 crawl error from a page in my sitemap but not found. So I removed that file so it will not generate a crawl error on the next site map.

As of 7/24 Google still indicates 1,779 URLs in the web index, how ever a few days ago Google indicated only 1,775 pages ~ but I have generated 3 or 4 new pages over the last week, so it may have picked up on those new pages. I currently have 12 new pages that have been generated since the last site-map was generated and up-loaded.

Leroy said...

10-23-10 There are now 1,805 pages included in Googles Search Results, the most ever. That number is up 500 pages this year.

As I've indicated I'm always adding pages, but not that many. I'm sure I said here already but being indexed does not mean anyone will click on the page link, which could be 4 pages into the SERPs.

lhdaggett said...

I have a site, www.southwest-designs.com. When I submit my sitemap to Google, it indicates that I have 156 URLs but only 34 have been indexed. Why is the number so low on indexed pages? I have been creating/submitting sitemaps for about a year now (use CoffeeCup sitemapper) but the process is still difficult for me as there are no clear directions.

Leroy said...

There could be many reasons why a page is not index. Do most of your pages appear the same, or have the same text? If they do Google will only index one of them, thinking the rest are duplicates

Leroy said...

Check the Page Titles and Page Description and insure that each page is different.

If you have pages that are nearly the same, use different words or phrases to describe the items on the page. If you use graphics and pictures make sure the 'alt' text does not use the same text as all the other pics on the site.

Leroy said...

11/4/10 As of the first of the month there are 1,946 pages submitted in the site-map with 1,854 URLs indexed ~ Best yet.

The Google Sites web page has 157 URLs submitted with 129 pages indexed. However I just updated one of those pages today and it didn't even contain any text, just a graphic that I never up-dated ~ that's fixed. Of course I still have to wait until that page gets spidered again in a month to see if it does get included in the index.

Leroy said...

11/30/10 Now there are 1,875 URLs in the web index.

So I guess I don't need to up-load a new Sitemap, Google finds the pages any way ~ which was always true.

I finding that it takes around 3 months until any of these new pages get any traffic, if they ever do.

Post a Comment