Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Interest in Personal Computer Buses

I figured I would post a few pages that have seen a reduction in page views from this year to last.

The page covering the USB interface had a reduction of 0.12%, which is nothing.

Now the PCIe page had a reduction of 17.20%, which is not good. The PCI express interface is still the fastest interface on the PC so I'm surprised to see a drop in visits that high. However it looks like much of the drop occurred in the first six months of this year, it started to make a come back after that.

The SATA interface also had a 3.23% drop from last year. Again this is a new interface which should still have some interest, so I would expect more page views.

The older Hard drive interface [IDE] also had a drop of 30.98%. The Parallel IDE interface [PATA] is obsolete so I would expect a drop in page views here, but maybe not that high. There should still be many computer users that run this older bus style. You would thing this would be the time people start looking up data on the bus as they begin to suffer hard drive problems.

Also had a 19.86% reduction in page views for the FireWire Bus. However I think I can under stand this reduction. I think I wrote something about some Apple computers not even shipping with the Firewire interface any longer. I've never even had a Firewire product.

Yet another obsolete PC bus, the RS232 interface also had a 6.48% drop from last year. I don't think I have any RS232 gear any longer, for a few years now. I still see RS232 ports on new PCs, which continues to surprise me.

Last one, for now, the PCI bus showed a 27.86% reduction in page views. I would like to say this interface is obsolete too, but I can't because there are many PC cards produced in the PCI format. Many card functions can't be purchased in the PCIe format. I think the PCI slot will be on motherboards for years to come.

So interest in topics comes and goes over time. Remember that the search engines are always re-ordering their results too. So some of these drops could be due to sliding down lower in the search results. The chart shows around a 20% increase in page-views over the last few months.

Graphic; PageViews [per week] so far this year.
There are 30,442 pages in the list I'm reading off Google Analytics, but there are only around 1,600 pages on the web site. The rest of those pages are search pages or mis-spelled [404] pages. This site does not have 30,000 different web pages. I should have cleaned that up a bit and re-typed that text.

1 comment:

Leroy said...

12-30-2010
Here's a few data points on the web site page covering RS232;

Page Views Change
2009 to 2010. -2.73%
2008 to 2010. -8.79%
2007 to 2010. -25.27%

So for what ever reason the drop-off in page views is slowing down. However there are 3 separate pages covering RS232;

2007 to 2010 page views:
Apple RS232. -43%
RS232 Pinout. -1%
RS232 Main-page. -25%

Post a Comment