Monday, May 12, 2008

Promote your site via News Groups


How can I promote my web site:
Using the usenet newsgroups is a good way to promote your website. There are thousands of different types of newsgroups that cover just about any topic you could think of. So there will be many different groups you could contribute to, and get the word out about your web site.

There are a number of ways to read and write to the news groups. You could down load any number of newsgroup readers off the web; I use XNEWS. You could interact via your web browser using Google Groups, which I also use. Or you could access the news groups via Outlook Express which normally comes free on a new computer.

If you end up using Google Groups you will find additional discussion groups not found in usenet. Or, XNEWS will display usenet groups, while Google Groups will display usenet and groups hosted by Google. Starting your own group, under all most any topic, is easy using Google Sites.

So how do you promote your site; find a group and write a post. If you can't think of any thing to post, just sit back and answer some one's posting leaving your site name as your signature [the last line in your reply.

I've posted 447 messages since 2005, leaving the interfacebus site as my signature in a few cases and this blog address as my 'sig' in almost all cases. Most people will appreciate your reply, but not visit your site. Of the small percentage of people that do check out your site some may result in an even smaller segment that returns, but thats what you want.

Check Google Groups for "interfacebus.com" and you will find that the search returns 1,200 pages ~ that's not me. That number is from other people posting a link to my site, that's the power of promotion.

The down side to posting in either usenet and to a smaller extent Google Groups is that replies to your post my be completely negative [Flame]. A lot of people 'live' in these newsgroups and jump from group to group flaming posters. I get 'flamed' once a month or so for a posting, but I only track a posting for about a month.
Todays Flame;
Original post: Why does my site not have a ranking?
My Reply: Duplicate content, check for ...... ~ (he did not leave a url, which is common)
2nd person: How can you know that..
3rd person: Lets rename this spam.
4th person: No place for overt advertising (left to me because of my sig.)
-- I just answered this guys question, and I get all these replies to my post and not the guy looking for help.

In usenet you can block these bozo's so you never see the reply after the first one, but you can't with Google. How ever, using Google you can read all their previous posting. Very quickly you find (in most cases) that their replies carry no meaning.

Read this post from Nov. 2007 and you find me posting my site address [I do not recommend you doing this]. The first reply is a flamer, but three other readers come in to denounce the flame posting. Note the flame guy never responded, as he went off to anther group. ~

1 comment:

Leroy said...

8/15/08 there are 1,220 posts with the term "interfacebus.com", no there not all from me.

Post a Comment