Monday, January 23, 2006

Brother MFC-5840CN does not Scan

So I tried to scan a document the other night on my new printer/scanner. Well I could not get it to work ~ printing seems to work. I dumped my working [scanning] HP printer because I wanted a flat-bed scanner. So I kind of wanted the Brother MFC-5840 to scan my documents. Well, that's just not working yet.

I looked at the manual, and the scanning function is not mentioned [see the CD] ~ not a good sign. The Doc's refers me to the Paper-port software ~ also not a good sign. I already have a flat-bed Paper Port scanner. The reason I don't use the Paper Port flat-bed scanner is because Paper Port does not support it's own scanner after Windows 2000 [or so]. The flat bed scanner from Paper Port is junk.

I went out to the Brother web site. My issue is listed in the FAQ. I need to re-boot, and / or, re-loaded the software. Which I did..... [no help found]

Would I recommend the 5840, NO
Would I recommend the MFC-5840, NO
Would I recommend a Brother Printer, NO.

3 comments:

Leroy said...

Ok I still hate this printer. I just tried to scan a page, but it won't. I have to scan to the PC, but the PC does not see the printer because it was off. I just want to scan to a sheet of paper.

Why can't I scan to a sheet of paper, why do I need to have my printer on all the time ~ WTF

mupp said...

I can only print in color... been working just fine till yesterday. I have a new blk cartridge and it started off printing in grey so I returned the cartridge and got another new one and it did the same thing now it's not printing at all except for in color... have cleaned it and ran the tests and still only prints in color not blk... any suggestions out there???

Leroy said...

1/27/10 Oh I gave this printer away three years ago, after never having used it. It sat on my office desk the entire time, until I gave it away. I would never get a Brother printer again.

Post a Comment