Thursday, October 14, 2010

cpu Heat Sink Fan Stopped Spinning

So I'm working on the computer last night and the PC just shuts down. At first I figured I had a power glitch, but the TV was still on. When I turned it back on the BIOS indicated my fan was not turning. How did I not notice that, the PC sounds like a plane taking off.

Any way I power off and back on to get it the fan to start again but that didn't work. So I turn the PC on its side and pulled the cover, flicked the fan a few times and tried the power on/off again. I reconnected the fan cable thinking it may be a loose connection, but no luck.

This is the cpu fan that really connects to a brick of a heat sink sitting on the cpu. It took a few tries before I could disconnect the fan from the heatsink, but I did get it off. Because other than banging on the fan I really couldn't do any thing. It's not like I could some how fix a fan, but I should have used that time to write down the model number.

So the next day, the fan is spinning now but I didn't do any thing. The internal case temperature is 92.8F and the room temperature is 80.1F. My office is always hotter than the rest of the house, to much electronics in the room and far away from the AC [which is set at 76F]. The PC has been on for about 15 minutes now, after doing a quick backup to a USB thumb drive, as the last backup was more than three weeks ago.

The weird thing is that I was just looking on line at new PCs yesterday, maybe it is time. However other than moving from DD2 to DDR3 I could find a good reason to upgrade. Now maybe I should start looking for a FAN and at the same time get another 2G of memory ~ why not if I'm popping the case anyway.

Well I didn't write down the fan type, I just wanted the time to do a back-up. But I did note this is an AMD socket 939 PC. I don't really want the Heat-Sink fan combo, I'll just take the fan. Not because of the extra $40 but because I don't want to mess around with the cpu to heat sink connection point. I haven't built a PC from scratch for 15 years. Why build one when I can just pick all the components on-line and have it delivered.

1 comment:

Leroy said...

10-20-10 I'm still watching the fan. Many times the fan does not start when the computer boots up, but sometime it does.

There have been a few time when the fan did not start on boot-up but I went ahead and let the computer start up. After awhile the fan does start, and it looks like it starts and stops depending on the cpu temperature, so I don't know what is going on.

Post a Comment