Friday, May 08, 2009

Zenu Link Checking


I ran Zenu on the web site today to check for bad links. To my surprise I found over a dozen bad links, and I have yet to finish checking all the links from the report.

The report from Zenu provides dozens of so call bad links, but many are just sites that just don't answer fast enough or sites that don't allow robots to check them. In either case I have to hand check all those links. The report indicated 6496 URL links that were ok, or 98% of the links. Some 27 links were reported as 'Bad', or 0.4%. However in some cases a bad link may reside on more than one page, so I've uploaded 18 pages to correct the bad links.

In addition to correcting a few bad links I also fixed a few re-directs, so the link points to the new page with out having the browser do the redirect. I did notice that many of my links that pointed to many internal Intel pages were no longer working; I ended up deleting those links.

Never really understand why a web master would cause a link to go bad. I just don't see how that helps a web site. In any case Intel just lost a few incoming links. The section of the web site with the largest number of bad links was Interface Bus Descriptions. Followed by the section covering Electronic Component Manufacturers.

Zenu also generates a sitemap so over the week end I'll be uploading a new site map to cover all the new pages that have been added to the web site over the last few months.

The correct name for Zenu is Zenu Link Sleuth and of 4/25/09 they have a new version of the program for download [version 1.3c].

The attached graphic is produced from Google Analytics and has nothing to do with Zenu. Click on the pic file for a larger image.

3 comments:

Leroy said...

5/8/09 This is a few hours later. I've made some more page up-dates to a few more page to fix both bad links and redirects. I'll skip the rest of the re-directs for a while now.

I stop checking the listing of bad links left in the report to give the site shown time to come back on-line.

I'll start working on the sitemap. The current size of the report which includes the sitemap and bad link listing is 1.428M Bytes. So I still have a lot of work to do. The site map should end up being around 700k Bytes.....

Leroy said...

5/8/09 Another few hours and the file as been reduced down to 1.321M Bytes. It may seem like a small change but 100k represents a lot of text.

Leroy said...

8/19/09 I ran Xenu again last night. Xenu reports 6696 URL's or links on the site with about 30 links reporting in as bad. I just fixed 7 pages or links, and found a few others that were working. So there may be around 20 'not found' links left which I'll fix tonight.

Oh, I always run Xenu at night to keep the load on the server down.

Post a Comment