Friday, March 07, 2008

Search engine optimization


Search engine optimization [SEO] is the process of configuring or setting up your web site so that it is search engine friendly. It really accounts for much more than that by insuring that a web page ranks high in a search result via key word placement. "Usually, the earlier a site is presented in the search results or the higher it "ranks", the more searchers will visit that site." I practice SEO; I make sure the title or page address relates to the topic, insure the first paragraph describes the topic and so on.

Any way, I just ran the program Xenu to validate the links on the site. The robot found only four bad links, and a ton of redirects. I don't think many of these companies practice SEO. They seen to change web names, redirect to a new address for awhile and than go back to the old address.... I really don't get it. I don't even list a few companies any longer because I continue to see dead pages as they keep changing their page addresses...

I should be up-loading a new sitemap tomorrow once I get a chance to delete some of the redundant listings in the report. I also ran Gsitecrawler and generated an XML sitemap for the search engines, Google is still checking it.

On a side note, the web site seems to be going well. Download speed is being increased by deleting HTML comments, or breaking up large pages into smaller pages ~ and making the pages more focused on one particular topic. Adding a search bar to all the pages, so the site may be searched from any page. Changing the search bar so that it defaults to a website search and not the web [some pages had search bars that searched the web, while some defaulted to searching the site which could be a little confusing. I also continue to add more pages, better than 80 pages in the last four months. Google now indicates 1606 URLs submitted.

Site / Server bandwidth remains at 57kB/visits, but I think the savings from reducing the html comments is being off-set by adding the search bar to the hundred's of pages that did not have one.

Not really web site related, but I've been trading out the older google referral links in favor of their new referral code. The newest code selects one of a hundred ads, while their old code would only run google related products ~ Adwords, firefox and so on. Plus the html code is smaller in most cases as one referral link may replace three other older google referrals.

Jan 2008 was the best month ever in terms of visits, and from the site history this month should be even better. March is higher than Jan, while Feb is lower January. New content is always being added, and html coding mistakes are fixed as they are found. ~ All is well

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was on the Google PR tech page, and I believe it said it's updated every 3 months. PR has always confused me. I don't think I'll worry about it too much. But Google Adsense is what does get me. If it were more consistent I'd like it more; otherwise it's like I'll get $10 one day, and then nothing for the next three weeks. Of course, if I were to advertise my own site to get new visitors instead of returning, I'd probably get a better payout...if I get a ton of visitors and a working computer. Damn Gateway. =(

Anonymous said...

Since Jan 1 2008, 832 pages have been up-dated. I assume all of those pages have received the new Google Search bar that defaults to search the web site before it searches the internet.

So that's better than half the pages contained on the web site ~ not to bad. However, I see no evidence that pageviews have increased, interesting.

Admin said...

3/29/08 I still see the same bandwidth being used: Bandwidth indicates 57.97 KB/Visit.

After all the updates that have been made. I'm not sure I get it yet ~ The site has as much code that is being deleted; what, no body does a refreash?

Post a Comment