Monday, December 12, 2005

SpyWare Detected

I got hit by spyware software today some time around 6:00 AM. I was checking incoming web sites from one of my e-mail accounts. I run multiple Internet Explorer windows while also running Firefox. While in Firefox I notice the Internet Explorer group of windows closed. When I got around to re-opening IE I notice I had a new tool-bar ~ not a good sign.

I tried to run Spyware Doctor but it just locked up my computer, or I refused to wait more then 20 seconds for it to start. Any how, I down loaded Spyware Doctor from the web again as I assumed that the spyware had disabled the program. How ever, to my dismay the program is no longer free. I wasted 45 minutes as it slowly scanned my computer only to find out that it would detect spyware but would not remove it unless I sent them money. Of course the next thing I did was to delete Spyware Doctor.

I then disconnected my internet interface.

Tonight I down-loaded and ran to different programs; Spybot and McAfee. I ran Mcafee first, and it found 2 trojans. Finding two trogan programs is good, but they did make it a little hard to delete the program ~ I had the 30 day free program. I then ran Spybot which is free.

I always run Norton Internet Security, and it's set to always run. I assume no information was lost because they should stop any program accessing the internet with out me knowing about it ~ now I wonder.

I don't think I'm as protected ~ I will no longer run Internet Explorer unless I'm on my own web site, I'll surf the web with Firefox from now on.

I did download and run SpyWare Doctor the next day which found more spyware. I then down loaded and ran Ad Aware which only found a few cookies.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Microsofts free Anti-Spyware tool is also good, and as it is also a TSR, it will protect as well as clean.

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx

Ad-Aware is also in my toolbox, as well as a newcomer, which actually finds more traces than any I've seen. This is trailware, so don't install until you need it. It's called Ewido and can be googled and downloaded all over the place. I just used it to clean a VERY bad infection from a users laptop, This malware prevented Trend antivirus from loading, prevented use of task manager, would spawn continuous attempts to access the net in order to "Protect your computer"... Ewido found 30 infections and totally cleaned the system.

Post a Comment