Wednesday, December 21, 2005

RAID


Hard Disk Drive Storage Posted by Picasa


I found a comparison test showing the performance difference between having RAID 0 and having no RAID at all. The term RAID means; Redundant Array of Inexpensive Disks. RAID 0 is the 'Stripping' form of RAID ~ each disk of a two disk set gets half the data speeding the process of reading/writing to disk.

Unfortunately the test showed that when using normal office software [which is what I use] there really was no difference in performance. So why purchase another $200 HDD for just 1 or 2% speed increase. So, my next computer will not use RAID 0, however I may still set it up for RAID 1.

The test did show that my Seagate Barracuda drive is much slower then my Western Digital Raptor.

No comments:

Post a Comment