Monday, March 22, 2010

The Web Site is Off-Line

The web site [Engineering Electronics] is down for about an hour now and I can't get any work done, so I figured I would go ahead and get a blog post in. The web site does not go down that often, but I'm never happy when it does. I don't make any money when the site is off line and I could always be losing new visitors ~ not good.

I should call, but I'm sure they will just say; we know its off-line and we're working on it. A few years back I did call and complained after the site was down most of a day. I remember asking how they arrive at their up-time number ~ You know the 99.999% on-line guarantee [that number]. I don't remember getting a response to my question, and the guarantee is useless as well. You have to go into your site stats and prove to the hosting company the site was off-line ~ like they don't already know. If I had more confidence in my cable connection I'd get my own server and do the hosting myself.

Anyway I've added a few new pages over the last week, keeping the site-map updated each time. The site is still doing better than last year, at around a 20% increase in site visits. Pageviews on the other hand are only around 15% higher, but there still higher. This same period last year the site had 922,867 page-views, while this year the site has received 1,063,542 page views. Really the pages-per-visit are down 4%, but because of the increase in traffic the other numbers are still up.

Wait a minute, a page just opened up, it may be trying to come back on line? Maybe I lost about 500 web visits, depending on how long it was really off-line. When the stats come in at 5:30 am I would guess I will not be seeing a 10,000  visit day [which is almost the norm now].....

No comments:

Post a Comment