Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Domain Name


I received an e-mail early this morning from a registrar in china. They indicated that a company [who they named] wanted to purchase interfacebus.com, .net, and .org all with the .cn suffix [interfacebus.com.cn]

Of course I wrote back and indicated that interfacebus was my trademark and business name and should not be used. They followed with an email that said I misunderstood, they were giving me a chance to purchase those domain names prior to the other company registering them.... Translated, you buy it now [at what price] or we will use it.

In May of 2006 I received a similar email regarding interfacebus.eu, except that they had already registered it, placed ads on the page and wanted me to purchase the domain name after the fact. "we're making money running ads, so you may want to purchase your tradmark in the .eu domain.....


I've been out to the ICANN site a number of times [
Uniform Domain-Name Dispute-Resolution Policy]. The two most common reasons for someone losing a domain address;

1. Infringing on another's Trademark [which both of these companies do].
2. Purchasing a domain name in bad faith; trying to resale a domain name once it's purchased to harm another company
[which both of these companies are doing].

So if you purchase a domain name thinking, I'll sell it to company 'x' because it looks like this other companies name. Well, you just purchased that name in bad faith and will lose that name with no profit.

The e-mails go like this;
Incoming: we want to or will use the term interfacebus
Outgoing: That's my trademark and business names
Incoming: Want to purchase your name in the dot-what ever domain
Outgoing: Don't register my trademark as your domain
Than the emails stop coming in...........

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It didn't occur to me but I should have said that I receive these emails because these guys already know I use this domain name ~ that's why I get the e-mail. They already checked the name and found that I was using it.

So by definition they know that they are trying to buy a name someone else is using, regardless of the fact that it's a .cn or .eu ~ someone is using the mark....

Post a Comment